Disconnect and unwind in this secluded wilderness retreat
When a lodge doesn’t have a single road leading to it, and the only way to reach it is by helicopter, you know that you’ve found the sheer definition of seclusion. Exclusive doesn’t even cut it at Minaret Station. It’s so remote, the only thing standing between you and the clouds are wild, untouched landscapes. The chopper descent is truly spectacular — the lodge is set in a wide glacial meadow with soaring peaks either side, which makes for a magical landing spot. But if you feel like hopping out early, the pilot will drop you at the lower part of the mountains to embark on a riverside bush walk through the beautiful beech forest.
Decked out in rustic woods, the lodge itself (which is made up of one main building and four chalets) is unmistakably alpine. Although luxurious, it’s incredibly relaxed and unpretentious in style, with wooden chandeliers, flagstone fireplaces and a shared dining room table that seats all guests — although you can also order dinner to your room. There’s an open bar so guests can help themselves, and a reading room with a wood-burning stove, sofas, board games, a television (which is rarely used) and a library. Laid-back luxury personified.
On the deck of your chalet you’ll find private spa beckoning with bubbles, but it’s the outdoor activities that will give you the biggest rush. Most of Miranet’s experiences are helicopter-based, so whatever you’re in the mood for, be it skiing, sightseeing, mountain biking, or simply a ridgetop picnic, your personal heli-chariot awaits.
New Zealand’s most remote and exclusive lodge is in fact, only a three-hour trip from Auckland, or two hours’ from Queenstown Airport. Minaret Station has a hangar here, where your private helicopter will be waiting for you. It’s a spectacular 25-minute journey, with scenic views stretching out across the mountains and Queenstown and Wanaka’s famous ski resorts.
- 4 individual chalets featuring one bed in each (sleeps 2)
- A private outdoor hot tub on the deck of your chalet
- Talented in-house chefs will serve up a delicious selection of meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner and canapés) using the freshest local ingredients sourced from their 50,000 acre working farm
- Food is paired with an extensive collection of New Zealand fine wines
- Helicopter transfers from Queenstown or Wanaka
- A selection of private helicopter experiences led by a team of experienced guides — choose from touring Fiordland and national parks, backcountry fishing, hiking, heli skiing and guided hunting (along with many more)